Registering a yacht under the Malta Flag is a straightforward process, particularly with the Maltese register being one of the top 10 registers in the world. A historically respectable maritime tradition, coupled with highly advantageous tax schemes and only minimal restrictions, make the Malta Flag experience a pleasant and swift process. The operating costs are also recognised as one of the lowest within the EU.
A yacht may be registered in the name of an individual or a corporate entity. Under Maltese law, the following persons qualify to own a vessel registered under the Malta flag:
a) Citizens of Malta;
b) A Maltese shipping company; or
c) An international owner being an EU national or a foreign company who has to appoint a resident agent in Malta.
In order to obtain provisional registration of a yacht under the Malta flag, the following documents must be submitted to Transport Malta:
a) Power of attorney authorising us to act on your behalf in all matters relating to the registration of the yacht;
b) Application for registration (must include hull identification number);
c) Declaration of ownership which must be executed before the Registrar;
d) If the yacht is over 24 metres, the international tonnage certificate;
e) If the yacht is over 24 metres, the CE-Marking Certificate;
f) Confirmation of maximum number of persons onboard;
g) Payment of applicable fees.
Upon presentation of the requested documentation, the Registrar will release:
- The provisional certificate (valid for 6 months from the date of provisional registration);
- Provisional Radio Licence;
- Carving and Marking Note
Within one month from the date of provisional registration, the following list of documents must be submitted in order for the permanent registration to be processed:
- Deletion certificate from previous registry (if applicable);
- Carving and Marking Note (duly signed, stamped and dated by an authorised surveyor)
- Original Bill of Sale;
- Builders’ Certificate (if applicable);
- Certificate of Survey (International Tonnage Certificate must be included if the yacht of over 24 metres);
- Return of Provisional Certificate.
Upon submission of the above documentation, the yacht will be permanently registered under the Malta flag.